SoundBreak XP Acoustically Enhanced Gypsum Board
- Superior Sound Damping
- Acoustical Enhanced for High Rated STC Wall Assemblies
- Mold/Mildew/Moisture Resistant
- Purple drywall is approved for use on walls and ceilings
九线拉王怎么能赢钱soundbreak xp gypsum board is an acoustically enhanced gypsum board used in the construction of high stc wall assemblies. this innovative acoustic gypsum purple board drywall allows for construction of high stc wall assemblies that are thinner, cost effective and more reliable than traditional methods for constructing these types of assemblies.
九线拉王怎么能赢钱soundbreak xp gypsum board is a sound deadening drywall that has an acoustically enhanced, high density gypsum core encased in a heavy, abrasion and mold/mildew/moisture resistant, 100% recycled, purple paper on both sides. used in construction of high rated stc wall assemblies, soundbreak xp purple drywall consists of a layer of viscoelastic damping polymer sandwiched between two pieces of high density mold resistant gypsum board, providing constrained layer damping.
Market Trends Driving The Need for Higher Rated STC Wall Partitions
increasing land costs have resulted in larger amounts of high density multi-family housing in a growing number of united states housing markets. the result of high density housing is individual living units positioned closer together than traditional single-family housing.
home theater systems are becoming more prevalent in use and sophistication, resulting in the potential for more noise being transmitted between wall partitions. commercial buildings such as schools, hospitals and hotels also have an increasing need to control sound between areas of a building.
all of these changing market dynamics have resulted in an increased need for higher rated sound transmission class (stc) wall partitions, which reduce the transmission of airborne sound between living spaces within buildings.
What is an Acceptable STC Rating for a Wall Partition?
National Research Council of Canada Survey
- 600 multi-family residences (300 party walls between them)
- Residents with lower STC rated walls are more likely to:
- Want to move
- Be awakened by noises
- Have trouble falling asleep due to noises
- Think neighbors are less considerate
General Survey Conclusions
- STC ≥55 – A realistic goal for acceptable sound insulation
- STC ≥60 – More ideal, would practically eliminate negative effects of noise from neighbors
- Music related sounds may require the highest rated walls
J.S. Bradley, Deriving Acceptable Values for Party Wall Sound Insulation survey results
Design Considerations in Acoustical Wall Partitions
the goal of a high rated stc wall partition is to decrease the amount of sound transmission through the partition. the following five variables can have impact on the ability of the partition to provide this loss.
increasing the mass of a wall partition increases the amount of sound transmission loss. increasing mass in a cost and space effective way can be a challenge.
九线拉王怎么能赢钱increasing the stiffness of a wall partition will decrease the amount of sound transmission loss. for that reason metal studs outperform wood studs, and 24″ o.c. framing spacing outperforms 16″ o.c. framing spacing.
introduction of damping will increase the amount of sound transmission loss. in particular, constrained layer damping can be effective for structure type applications.
九线拉王怎么能赢钱increasing the depth of the cavity of the partition can increase the amount of sound transmission loss, especially when the cavity is filled with acoustical insulation.
九线拉王怎么能赢钱adding sound-absorbing material such as fiberglass or mineral fiber insulation to the cavity of a partition will increase the amount of sound transmission loss. the sound-absorbing material should completely fill the cavity but not be compacted or compressed in any way.
- Resists the growth of mold per ASTM G 21 with a score of 0, the best possible score.
- Resists the growth of mold per ASTM D 3272 with a score of 10, the best possible score.
- Use of SoundBreak XP Drywall results in wall partitions with high rated STC values that are thinner than traditionally built high rated STC wall partitions providing increased usable floor space.
- Superior sound damping, cost-efficient material that is easily finished and decorated in the same manner as standard gypsum board.
- All SoundBreak XP Drywall designs were tested by an independent third-party acoustical laboratory using the full-scale ASTM E90 test procedure.
- Heavy abrasion resistant paper and denser core provide greater resistance to surface abuse and indentation when tested in accordance with ASTM C 1629.
- Features a smooth, heavy face paper that is highly resistant to scuffing and provides a superior surface for decoration.
- 5/8″ SoundBreak XP Drywall sheetrock features a fire resistant Type X core and is UL Classified and approved for inclusion in specific UL fire-rated designs.
- SoundBreak XP acoustic purple gypsum board is GREENGUARD Children & SchoolsSM Certified for indoor air quality.
- This soundproofing sheetrock is approved for use on walls and ceilings.
How SoundBreak XP Gypsum Board Works
- Exposure to excessive or continuous moisture and extreme temperatures should be avoided. SoundBreak XP acoustic purple gypsum board is not recommended where it will be exposed to temperatures exceeding 125°F (52°C) for extended periods of time.
- Installing SoundBreak XP acoustic purple gypsum boards over an insulating blanket, installed continuously across the face of the framing members, is not recommended. Blankets should be recessed and flanges attached to the sides of the studs.
- SoundBreak XP Drywall must be stored off the ground and under cover. Sufficient risers must be used to ensure support for the entire length of the gypsum board to prevent sagging.
- SoundBreak XP acoustic purple gypsum board must be kept dry to minimize the potential for mold growth. Adequate care should be taken while transporting, storing, applying and maintaining SoundBreak XP Gypsum Board. For additional information, refer to the Gypsum Association publication, “Guidelines for the Prevention of Mold Growth on Gypsum Board” (GA-238-03), which is available at under the “Download Free Gypsum Association Publications” section.
- Fasteners: Drywall Screws or Nails
- Joint Tape
- Joint Compound
- Casing Beads
- Acoustical Sealant
- Acoustical Putty Pads
note: in multi-layer systems, soundbreak xp gypsum board can be used as either a face layer or a base layer without affecting the stc rating.
UL Listed Assemblies
UL Core Designation